Proud Iowans living in the South! We are learning to laugh and love together, while enjoying our lives with our fur children, LeRoy and EmmyLou!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Parenting philosophy meet my new friend...Reality


I cannot believe I’m saying this…but if you had to label me as a parent..I would be considered “crunchy.” I guess I would be crunchy because we cloth diaper, babywear, exclusively breastfeed, attempt to recycle and reuse whenever possible. I did not set out to join this group of mommies, not that there is anything wrong with being a crunchy mommy, I just set out to do what was best and most natural for us. I cloth diaper because it saves us money and Alice’s bum seems to do better using cloth diapers and wipes. I wear her because I want her close and she seems happier in her carrier than the carseat. I breastfeed her because it is the most nutritious and cost-effective way to feed her. I haven’t started solids because she is not ready (I know…I know…I could keep trying and eventually get her to eat..but why? She has her entire life to eat solids). I wanted to be selective and knowledgeable about her shots because, well, she is a little bitty individual and the drugs are made to protect the masses.

All of these things are good, but I have had to face the reality that even if I want to be as true to myself and do what comes most natural to us—I might not be able too. For instance, I was planning on studying the vaccines and delaying the some of the shots when we went in for her 2 month check-up. Unfortunately, the reality was we had spent a week in the hospital and I was scared. I did not know what was next for my baby and I wanted her covered for as much as possible as quickly as possible if we were going to be in and out of doctors’ offices (where the sick babies go). 

Now that we are on antibiotics I am once again facing reality. Antibiotics have a tendency to give Alice a yeast infection which has to be treated with a cream, which you are not supposed to use on cloth diapers. Ugh. That same yeast infection appears in mouth in the form of thrush, which makes breastfeeding difficult. Alice hates to take the medicine—hates, hates, hates it. She oozes it out, she gags it out, she pukes it out, basically she will do anything/everything possible to get it out.  Because of this, I might have to try to give her some cereal with the medicine mixed in…which means she will not be exclusively breastfed for six months like I had hoped she would be.

In the end, she will be fine. If my ideas about parenting are not always compatible with our reality, it will be fine. After all, my goal is to do and be as natural as possible for the three of us. Sometimes what is natural for us changes from day to day. These antibiotics are now a part of our lives and we have to find a way to make it work for us.

Alice is thinking about this cloth diaper thing...how cute is that blue diaper?!

Who says that Alice won't put anything in her mouth but Mama?! I had to document her deciding to put her teether in her mouth because up to this point she was rejecting everything that wasn't Mom. 

Alice thinks that tummy time is a lot better when you get to stare at a pretty little girl in a mirror. 

Look at that talent!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment