So, lots of people have asked, "How are the dogs adjusting?" Because our dogs were our first babies, I wasn't sure how they would respond. I knew to a certain extent that LeRoy would be calm and EmmyLou would be crazy, but I didn't know how they would welcome the newest member of our little "pack."
 |
| Meeting (and licking) Alice for the first time |
 |
| Getting in trouble for licking the baby |
 |
| Loving on Alice (btw Alice looks so tiny in these pictures!) |
 |
| Sitting pretty next to her baby |
The first few days we took it really slow. Actually we didn't have EmmyLou interact with Alice at all, and LeRoy was kept at a distance. Eventually we were able have Alice and EmmyLou co-exist in the same world. Mostly, LeRoy ignored Alice. He was visibly concerned when she was crying, especially if we were not quick to correct the issue. EmmyLou seemed to think that Alice belonged in the swing (especially if Tyler was holding Alice) and would pace back and forth as if she was reminding Tyler to put the baby in the swing.
After a few months, there was a shift in both the dogs. It was as if they realized she was here to stay, and they were feeling a little shoved to the side. They would both (LeRoy typically avoids this type of social interaction) would come lay next to me when I was nursing. They both acted like they were starving for attention jumping and barking when we would come into the house.
 |
| This is typically where LeRoy can be found. Darn dog destroyed our blinds--so I took photographic evidence to show Tyler the damage. I was not amused. |
 |
| EmmyLou trying to interact with Alice |
 |
| LeRoy decided to cuddle while Alice was nursing...this arrangement did not last long. LeRoy moved back to his post at the window. |
Now that it has been 5 months, they both have calmed down. Generally a few times a day LeRoy will mosey on over to her and if she reaches out to touch him he will allow it and lick her hand. He isn't very fond of her touching him, but doesn't seem to mind if she does grab him if he is the one who initiates the contact. You can tell that Alice loves these interactions. She knows where to "find" him--at the window (gotta watch for those pesky cats and squirrels) and will generally turn to that window whenever she is able. She giggles and smiles when he licks her hands; however, she doesn't seem to like him (or EmmyLou) licking her face (understandable, I don't like it when they do that to me either, so I try to make sure that they aren't able to do it). EmmyLou moves too fast for Alice to enjoy interaction with her, so mostly she tries to move her face fast enough to stop EmmyLou from licking her. EmmyLou loves Alice...a little too much and is not allowed out when Alice is on the floor, which makes logistics in the house hard.
 |
| Grabbing a handful of puppy hair |
 |
| Hanging out during floor time |
I love this series of photos I took when I was trying to take pictures of Alice in her "Auntie Forever" top from Aunt Shelby--
 |
| LeRoy slowly works his way into the picture |
 |
| Getting a little closer... |
 |
| Licking her hand... |
 |
| Checking out her feet.... |
 |
| Now he is headed towards the mouth... |
 |
| I guess he just wanted to see what was going on in there...and she (this time) gladly opened up to let him see |
LeRoy is very protective of Alice and there will be no "crying it out" in this house. The other night we had put Alice down and after an hour or so she started fussing. She wasn't awake, but just fussing. LeRoy did not like it and was not pleased with our reaction. When she started fussing he perked up and looked at us. When neither of us moved to go get her, he stared and eventually got up and went to the hallway and whined at us. She settled back down and fell back to sleep. Later she started fussing again, LeRoy decided to take matters into his own hands (or..I suppose paws)--we were not handling the situation to his standards--so he pushed his way into the bedroom. When the door opened she stopped crying and fell back to sleep. haha silly parents have no idea how to handle the baby crying...
 |
| This girl loves her puppy--and her puppy loves her! |
No comments:
Post a Comment